Re: [World] Window Cleaner Saved in Michigan

From addressis@removed
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 17:18:33 -0400

Hey Mark,

Actually I just contacted you via private mail.

To your post:

Mark:
Adam Could you let us know what type training you have?

It would be customized to the needs and current "know how" of the persons. I
can start from scratch of course, but for High-Rise window cleaning
companies, I would introduce things like ascending tools, pulleys, versatile
friction tools, etc. and I show how they are used for basic up and down (one
can switch back and forth in a matter of seconds) work (and diagonal too if
need be), and MOST importantly for self and partner rescue. If someone can do
RDS then they can do this. Its about having a system that is the safest,
easiest, and most versatile for regular work and for quick action rescue
work. There's more, like harness pathology, pre-job paperwork, helpful knots
to know, etc. but the above is meat of it and what matters the most. A course
syllabus would be provided for an seriously interested ones perusal after
they tell me their needs.

Where and when depends on what is best for all.

Lastly, a fall factor is a way of categorizing the proportional seriousness
of a fall. Divide the length of the fall by the length of the fall arresting
lanyard/connection. If I was standing on a ledge with 6 foot lanyard
stretched from my back to above my head almost to its full length, and I
stepped off, that would be almost a zero fall factor. If on the other hand
the 6 foot lanyard was stretched in the opposite direction and connected well
below my feet and I stepped off the ledge, I would fall about 12 feet before
it started to catch me. That would be a fall factor 2 roughly; 12 foot fall
divided by 6 foot lanyard. If the anchor connection point was directly at the
level of its connection to my harness I would fall 6 feet. That would be a
fall factor 1; 6 foot fall divided by 6 foot lanyard. And so forth and so on.
Of course the seriousness is all relative to the length of the lanyard
connected to the anchor point. I keep a short connection so it doesn't really
matter and I don't need to worry about it. But those who use 6 foot lanyards
need to be oncerned about keeping that connection up to their shoulder at
least to avoid high impact forces. I bet that really hurt when that guy in
Mich. got yanked after his lanyard tightened up.

Oh, and they left their ropes in the weather?!?! Wow. Have a great one Mark.

Cheers,
Adam
Z)ݣy^
+X)[){([       'hvzyZ"q޲ȨVwh)^jw