RE: [World] The truth about electricity

From "Gary Mauer" <addressis@removed>
Date Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:15:08 -0500

>>>It sounds to me like somebody is putting fear into us without checking the
>facts. --
Scoot Grandsard<<<

I dunno - I've been doing some checking. Part of that checking involved doing
a few
Internet searches - part of that was asking you to ask your source about
arcing again

I'm trying to pay attention to what you say, and what everyone else is saying
who seems to
know what they are talking about. I'm trying to sort it out.

You said - and this is an exact quote -  "The only way for electricity to arc
to your
ladder is if your grounded better than the building. Than you have to be
closer than 3
feet to the wire. ( he said it more likely 6" or so)"

Another time you said that "Electricity will not jump from one contact to
another. It must
make contact, period."

That would seem to contradict the first statement - which is why I asked.

I wonder if, instead of "It must make contact, period." - maybe you meant,
"It must make
contact, FIRST"?

It sounds logical to me that arcing can occur after momentary contact is
made. Let's say
you tap something hot with your aluminum pole - or you tap it with a hand
tool from atop a
ladder - or you are carrying a ladder and bounce it off a hot wire.

And let's assume that you are grounded. Maybe the ground is wet, or you are
touching a
metal window frame.

Would you be safe making only momentary contact?

You then draw the metal away from the contact, and the electricity keeps
running through
you - arcing to the metal you are holding, until you get it far enough away.

You'll agree that this is a potential problem, wouldn't you?

As for your advice to "get as close as you feel comfortable and safe" - I
disagree - you
want to only get as close as you actually ARE safe. Just because you're not
worried about
a hazard, it doesn't mean you actually ARE safe.

And I don't want to tell my customer I'm afraid to do something.
I want to be able to tell them I'm too wise to do something I know is unsafe.
Big difference.

Gary Mauer
Window Cleaning Network
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, USA
www.window-cleaning.net

Window Cleaning Network and WCmail sponsored by:

American Window Cleaner Magazine
"The Voice of the Professional Window Cleaner"
www.AWCmag.com

More Messages: