RE: [World] The truth about electricity

From "Brian Godley" <addressis@removed>
Date Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:46:39 -0700

In my estimation Scott is probably correct that the chances for arcing
are slimmer. But you never know. All electric wires and conductors have
an electro-magnetic field when charged. Some are very faint and some are
much stronger like high voltage lines. If there is a weird occurrence,
and we have all heard stories about weird stuff happening, there is an
outside chance that your metal ladder within the field becomes the best
ground and an arc can occur.

Either way, if you are not planning on climbing a bunch of power poles
and the proximity to high voltage lines is very rare, just don't bother
with it. Hey, if it makes you feel uncomfortable screw it. Just tell the
customer that high voltage lines have an electro-magnetic field and it
makes your nipples hurt - yuck-yuck.

Brian Godley
The Window Wizard
Los Angeles, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: World-owner@wcmail.net [mailto:World-owner@wcmail.net] On Behalf
Of Gary Mauer
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 7:15 PM
To: World@wcmail.net
Subject: RE: [World] The truth about electricity

>>>It sounds to me like somebody is putting fear into us without
checking the facts. --
Scoot Grandsard<<<

I dunno - I've been doing some checking. Part of that checking involved
doing a few
Internet searches - part of that was asking you to ask your source about
arcing again

I'm trying to pay attention to what you say, and what everyone else is
saying who seems to
know what they are talking about. I'm trying to sort it out.

You said - and this is an exact quote -  "The only way for electricity
to arc to your
ladder is if your grounded better than the building. Than you have to be
closer than 3
feet to the wire. ( he said it more likely 6" or so)"

Another time you said that "Electricity will not jump from one contact
to another. It must
make contact, period."

That would seem to contradict the first statement - which is why I
asked.

I wonder if, instead of "It must make contact, period." - maybe you
meant, "It must make
contact, FIRST"?

It sounds logical to me that arcing can occur after momentary contact is
made. Let's say
you tap something hot with your aluminum pole - or you tap it with a
hand tool from atop a
ladder - or you are carrying a ladder and bounce it off a hot wire.

And let's assume that you are grounded. Maybe the ground is wet, or you
are touching a
metal window frame.

Would you be safe making only momentary contact?

You then draw the metal away from the contact, and the electricity keeps
running through
you - arcing to the metal you are holding, until you get it far enough
away.

You'll agree that this is a potential problem, wouldn't you?

As for your advice to "get as close as you feel comfortable and safe" -
I disagree - you
want to only get as close as you actually ARE safe. Just because you're
not worried about
a hazard, it doesn't mean you actually ARE safe.

And I don't want to tell my customer I'm afraid to do something.
I want to be able to tell them I'm too wise to do something I know is
unsafe.
Big difference.

Gary Mauer
Window Cleaning Network
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, USA
www.window-cleaning.net

Window Cleaning Network and WCmail sponsored by:

American Window Cleaner Magazine
"The Voice of the Professional Window Cleaner"
www.AWCmag.com

Window Cleaning Network and WCmail sponsored by:

American Window Cleaner Magazine
"The Voice of the Professional Window Cleaner"
www.AWCmag.com

More Messages: